View Single Post
Old July 28th 2010, 22:55

Last thing, since this took a little creativity and leveraging of ideas from folks like Clive (want to give credit here, since we were thinking the same thing at about the same time, but he posted the idea first)

When utilizing 944 style spring plates you may encounter clearance or interference issues, these are well documented in older posts which discuss this issue. Some options to remedy this include grinding, cutting of the webbing for the TB housing and other creative ideas.

Clive and I both realized that by pushing the plates outward some how we may be able to clear the TB housing and not have any clearance issues. I believe he is or will be using plastic spacers of some sorts. I decided to go a different path and use some steel shims.
The company I used is called Mc Master's http://www.mcmaster.com (NJ location)

Pics of the shims, 2" ID, by 3" OD, and about 2mm thickness

Here is the spring plate, after sandblasting I realized that I should have loosened the two bolts, so I did not finish painting.

With 2 shims, you are about 4mm, with 3 shims you get 6mm, which is what the bolts height is. I will have to trial fit when the weather gets better and see how many it will take. May need to get longer bolts, but will see later on.

The shims are low carbon steal. I tried to find higher carbon, but was not available, as well as other materials. Since they are prone to rusting I took the liberty and had them yellow zinc plated also. I will utilize some good swepco grease to help prevent rust.

Let me know what you think or feel free to add or comment. I know I probably missed something, and my wife is giving me grief so gotta run

VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463