View Single Post
Old June 9th 2009, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
Hi Jason,

A very impressive installation!

One query - Will the intercooler actually vent through the rear grilles under the rear window? I thought this was a high pressure area that under normal circumstances is the cold air inlet for the carb(s). I assume that you will be taking the cold air feed to the intercooler from the side windows? If that is so the air pressure/air flow is not too good and may not overcome the high pressure under the rear window.

Clive
Clive, I'm glad you brought that up. How sure are you that that idea is true? If you're 100% I'm gunna have to change my thinking, I used to think the same thing. But the more I understand about aerodynamics, the less I think this is likely.

When I was down at 034 I explained my idea of the ducting, strictly the pathway, not mentioning high and low pressure areas. The tech who worked on my car, Mike, mentioned he thought NACA ducts in the side windows ducting into a plenum then out the vents would work great, said NACA ducts flow serious air. Then Javad, the owner, said he thought scoops would be a better bet, really trap air and force it through. Finally, Christian (Miller, KONI Challenge Series points leader) said he thought scoops and make sure that the exit duct to the rear vents was very well sealed, as he figured the vacuum created in that location was actually going to be pulling more air through the intercooler than the pressure from the scoops.

All of these guys are SERIOUSLY into motorsports, Javad has been racing and setting up racing cars for years, and Christian is a professional racecar driver with a lot of R&D experience. ALL of them had the same idea as I did regarding high and low pressure areas and airflow in general. We could all be totally wrong, so I'm going to have to do some R&D of my own, build the setup in cardboard then put little red yarn pieces on the ducts and see which way they blow.

When I think about the stock idea of those ducts, I actually think they may be there precisely to pull the hot air out of the engine comparment! Regarding the NACA ducts, I spoke with a drag racer at Bugorama a few years ago, and he had actually tested the pressure from the duct placement in the quarter windows, and he said he was seeing 5psi!!! I don't know, I hope the old idea isn't true, but if it is I certainly stand corrected. My little test should let me know if it'll work or not.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S