View Single Post
Old July 22nd 2010, 17:30

Alex,

You have it right, and the rear shocks are kyb gas-adjusts.

Keep in mind that so far I've only had it doing auto-cross and a few high speed on/off ramps, I won't get to a road-course for awhile.

I knew that going to 150lb springs in the front was going to make it handle worse, but it was the first change I had to make because the topline springs (~70lbs/in) were so soft that I could grab the bumper and push it down to bottom, and I'm not a very big guy.

The Bilstien's are just the non adjustable sport versions (albiet very expensive) and I'm unsure of the valving on them but they are a good bit stiffer than the sachs GTI inserts that came with the toplines.

In my non-expert opinion it feels really good and very tight. With no throttle or engine braking it won't steer, under throttle its even worse (pushes straight), in autocross I can't get it to trail brake. On 60mph off ramps I can steer by trail braking but that's the only way to get it to turn, and you have to be going pretty fast for it to work.

Tires will come once I get the suspension more balanced. On an autocross track I can't imagine needing more brake, maybe once I get tires I'll notice. The 150lb springs helped the brakes out quite a bit, I think its because the topline springs were bottom out and then the tires would skid. I think that's still happening but under much harder braking, which I why I either need to get the front end another 1/2" higher or go with a progressive spring.

Like I mentioned earlier, next step will be 944 TB's and sway bar, adjust sway, and see how it works. Keep in mind I drive this car to work everyday and take frequent road trips so there will be SOME sacrifice in all-out race setup versus being street friendly.

Thanks for the comments