View Single Post
Old October 3rd 2015, 03:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
Good morning, was the torsion bar/housing cut away? Was your engine/trans raised any. Will you be using a lessor poundage torsion bar, along with coil overs?. I think your model of G-50 may be longer than Walter's, from the look of your tailshaft housing. Have you seen Walter's picture of comparison and measurement of his 915 verses the G50. How much more in length will your engine be rearward than its original location.The reason for my questions are,I am toying with the idea of a subaru EZ30. By it being a 6 cylinder, rear apron clearances I need to be mindful of.

Very nice work.
Yes torsion housing was cut.
Trans was moved 70 mm forward and 50 mm up.
no torsion bar, coilers in the region of 450-500 lbs and a uniball kit made by member a on here, Alex.
My g50 will sit rearwood in the same position as the original gearbox.

From memory Walter has a short nose g50, so that plus the fact that he has had the first rib of his g50 machined off enabled him to get the g50 in without cutting the torsion tube.Also walter obviously has a wild air-cooled lump and the suggestion of putting a subaru engine in his car would send his blood pressure through the roof .Thats my basic understanding on his instal but please check as my knowledge on most things is very limited and only gained from hours of reading on forums wich can lead to confusion as there are so many differing opions/projects.I am pretty sure as well that on the face of it the h6 looks like a great swap but the 2 or 2.5 litre ej20 engines are a better bet.They are more widely available have tons more tuning options and i think they are marginally shorter.As I say these are my basic understandings so do your own research.Check out other forum members rides inc Ricola's, Steve c and obviously Walter's, all these guys are helpful, approachable, knowledgeable and millions of times better placed to advise than me.
Unfortunately my knowledge and experience of building cars is limited to just this one and for the most part I'm stumbling around in the dark most of the time with my build and get pointed in the right direction by other members who kindly tolerate me