View Single Post
Old July 29th 2005, 09:05

Zen,

I have have driven an STI, as well as an EVO.. not the MR though..

Both as you mention have their pros and cons... While I haven't tracked the EVO.. it was a blast to drive around town.. Very communicative, If that is a word..due to the Very quick stearing rack.. which at times makes this car very dangerous.. turn the wheel a little and your over two lanes on the highway.. Evo was a little firm.. but then again.. I run a stiff STI suspension based setup.. so that is not an issue to me.. but if I compare out of the box stiffness STI< EVO.. which makes the STI a nicer around town car..

As far as looks.. I like the EVO's more aggressive stance and look.. but at the same time my ugly duckling, as well as the STI, have a place in my heart..

It becomes a toss up as to what you want to do with the car.. Track or town cruiser.. for track I think out the box the MR package is hard to beat.. plus a lot more tuning has been done to that block vs the STI's 2.5 lt (which is relatively new).. On the other hand the STI with some upgrades is probably more than a handful..

I run a 02 WRX which has some suspension, brakes, and Scooby sports power upgrades.. it is fun around town, as well as on the track.. Granted it may have only 260-270 hp.. down a few to the STI.. but it just means that you have to drive cleaner, and smoother to go faster.. I haven't had a chance to run against to many STI's or EVO's yet.. but the one that I have run against, I have managed to out drive the STI driver, making me quicker..
All together a cheaper package than the STI.. which might be worth considering.. but again day and night from an out of the box STI..

I to am waiting for someone to take a depreciation hit on their STI..
I will wait for 06 models to come out.. and most likely try to acquire an 05 vs 04 next year.. Baby/Family priorities > New Car.. plus I need to fix up the GL's.. Not enough money for both..

Incidently the 06 WRX will come with a 2.5 lt detuned version of the STI's engine.. I think main difference is piston material and different turbo.. not sure about cams.. Might be worth considering as a cheaper GL option for some.. I may try to source one for my WRX though along with some new gears..

Hope that helps alittle.. feel free to ask me more.. I do enjoy my scooby.. it has been quite reliable.. has shy of 90K on it, in just three years.. 6-7 track days.. and going strong.. it does need some TLC but that has to be expected..
VR
Alex