Thread: Seats
View Single Post
Old December 18th 2002, 08:05

Julian,
I agree that the Rabbit (Golf model) GTI seats are very good sports seats (model made by Recaro).
Best thing is you can use a Golf model 1 and 2 (up to 1988 or so) sport seats (usually from a GTI model), saw of the rear two paws (sort of tube with white sliders under them, what's a good word for that?), do the same with your original bug seats (post 1971 models anyway) and since the bug paws have a curve in them and the Golf seats don' t, just weld these bug paws to the GTI seats (using also an inner tube with a tight fit for reinforment) and everything fits, because Golf seats use the same rails at the front. You can usually even use the original bug seat adjustment.
I have lowered the front bulge, on top of which the rails slides through, in order to lower the total seat, because I like sitting a little lower in the car, gives me more feeling of the roadholding of the car.
IMO the most easy mod. Done it with all of my previous bugs, first thing I got them.
Most difficult part is to find a good left front GTI seat. But the seats are, like a bug, easy to disassemble and therefor easy to repair, change left to right, change fixed (ex 4-door) seats to folding down seats etc.
Have never tried Golf 3 or Golf 4 seats. Golf 3 probably still fit (3-point fixation) as well. Golf 4 probably not.
Good luck.