View Single Post
Old February 22nd 2008, 18:03

She's been out for a few runs now. I don't have a water temp guage, and the laptop I use has bad batteries, so I can't use the virtual dash to watch them, but the fans don't come on unless I'm stopped for awhile regardless, so that sounds about right!

It's a little twitchy at at any speed, not unstable, just twitchy. I think it's the almost bald 255/40/18s out back tramlining, so I'll put the new 235/45/17 Pirelli PZeroNero's on and we'll see if that feels better. I don't know how fast I'm going, the speedo get's pegged, but I do know that I'm passing people on the freeway very quickly, I'm thinking 80 at least, maybe faster. It corners great, none of the push it had as a BJ front end. I did have one incident on an inclined cloverleaf off/on ramp as I neared the end of it and was accelerating to merge there was some rough road repair and the front kind of jumped sideways then hooked up again, probably the compression settings on the shocks and maybe even the A-arm bushings are a little tight still. Regardless, it hooks up. I did get the back end sliding out a little on a fast braking then hard hard right turn offramp, but that is to be expected under those conditions with a mid-engine car.

The brakes aren't to my liking yet, too much pedal pressure and not enough bite generally, especially from the front. I think the pads may be part of the problem, but I'm sure one of the master cylinders will have to be replaced to reduce rear braking forces or conversely increase the front braking force, the rears are still the ones that want to lock up first. Hopefully that will give me a little bit more pedal at the same time. I talked to a Wilwood tech, and he gave me suspicious info, first saying one thing then the opposite, I'm really not sure how well the guys understand the fluid physics of what they are "teching" with, but it sounds like I need to get a smaller front MC.

Got the static alignment done, and it came out amazingly well. Apparently my fabrication skills are not terrible, as the specs came out better than new factory alignment. It will need to be looked at from a dynamic geometry standpoint in April at Huffaker Engineering at Infineon, he's going to pull the springs and look at toe changes during travel as well as camber changes. I think it will require a rear suspension redu, but we'll have to wait and see.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S