View Single Post
Old June 15th 2005, 10:50
Administrator

Update

An update ...

During this week of testing its been averaging mid 30C with humidity in Toronto so I'm happy with the results so far.

That SC diverter works wonders with this shroud along with T1 under-cylinder tins. I have modified the stock alternator cap diverters and added a 3rd diverter to the cap to direct the airflow more to #4. Initially I had too many diverters and the temps actually got worst the harder I drove it, but looked great when idling / light driving.

So I'm down to 3 diverters and here's the stats:

1. #1 and #2 run on average within 10F of each other.
2. #3 and #4 run on average within 13F of each other.
3. 1-2 bank runs on average 36F cooler than 3-4 bank.
4. 1-3 run on average 24F cooler than 2-4.
5. Hottest temp with current setup is 341F on #4 (Highway running, 5000 RPM in 4th - at this RPM I think there is too much air for the shroud to get rid of, but I rarely drive at 5000 rpm)

On my drive to work (20 mins with idling in traffic, 80kph top speed) highest temps for #1 are 289F, #2 301F, #3 312F and #4 319F

The interesting thing about this whole diverter setup is that all 3 diverters are on the 3-4 side of the alternator cap. 1-2 get a direct shot of air with no mods required.

If 1-2 run so cool (hottest temp for 1-2 with current setup average 323F) with no diverters/deflectors of any sort, I'm confident 3-4 can run just as cool.

Next step is to tweak the diverters a bit by placing tufts of yarn on the diverters and looking through the fan to see which way they blow. The stock diverters blew the air right to #3 cylinder and not the head.

After I get the air poining in the right direction, I will make the pulley mod Jake has recommended. I don't think I need to use Wally's horizontal tin mod as my shroud sits higher than his does, and it does not look like the airflow is being blocked by the first fin on the head towards the case.

Thats it for now !

Sandeep