View Single Post
Old December 28th 2009, 02:02

G'day
For me , personally, I wouldn't touch the twin turbo engines. The Subaru guys down here won't touch them, & the majority that do convert them to a single turbo & make more power, why I don't know.

I purchased my engine without an ecu & I purchased an aftermarket one which unleashes lots of power with masses of tuning potential. Plus u get rid of the pesky AFM on the standard engine with an after market ecu which causes a lot of dramas on the standard engine.
i only run 8psi boost & have 204hp & 221ft torque at the wheels. More than enough for me. it's now been going for 5 years this Xmas & I have put over 150'000ks (93'000miles) on the conversion.

As for the gearbox, I have a single side plate box (1303) in my car, just rebuilt with kombi gears as they have a taller 4th 0.82 & are course teeth 3rd & 4th. I just put 65'000klm (40'300miles) on it before 4th gear let go, but thats because I was stupid enough to go drag racing. I had 2 built so I just put the spare in whilst the other one is rebuilt.

That 65'000ks includes daily driving & about 20 track days (supersprints) as well as 3 drag events. I think people underestimate the humble vw gearbox.
unless u drive like an idiot all the time a rebuilt vw gearbox will handle the power.

hope this helps
regards
jak

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...y&cmd=sc&cat=6

Last edited by jakriz; December 28th 2009 at 02:07. Reason: stoopid spelling