View Single Post
Old March 24th 2004, 21:55

Bruce you da man

Bruce, reading your posts I realize that you’re a lot smarter than I. So, I’d like to bounce a couple of things off of you to see if they make sense. First of all, the way I see it, the reason that camber changes as the TA moves up and down is the angle of the pivot axis relative to the center line of the car. That axis runs thru the center of the inner pivot bolt to the intersection of the spring plate with the center line of the torsion bar. If the pivot axis was perpendicular with the center line on the car, there would be no change in camber. If it were parallel, there would be extreme changes in camber. I think this agrees with what you have said.

As far as moving the inner pivot up, I like this idea because it would provide anti-squat for lowered cars. But it seems to me that in doing so you would be increasing positive camber unless you also moved up the outer pivot. Since my car is lowered I’m thinking of raising the pivot points (inner and outer). I’m using narrowed TA’s and spring-over-coils so this shouldn’t be too hard to do. What do you think?

Also, looking at the picture above of the “BugPerformance red tube chassis beetle” where the outer pivot is not on the same axis as the inner pivot, doesn’t this setup cause unnecessary stress in the suspension components?