View Single Post
Old September 26th 2006, 16:03

Okay, this is the deal. I Originally wanted to build a tube frame mid engined chassis for a G50 or similar, a 400bhp small block chevy, full custom double wishbone chassis and mount my '64 body to it all..... I have nursed this dream for nearly 10 years now whilst life has happened.

Upon reflection though, I have woken up to the realisation that my name isn't Boyd Coddington, I don't have his facilities, and I certainly don't have the Discovery Channel funding the idea, so until I can afford to get someone to build it for me, it can sit on the shelf for a few more years?

Now I'm back in the real world with my modest budget, modest skills and single garage, it would seem a Scooby conversion is a much more realistically achievable project given my budget, facilities and space.

My aim is to have a immaculately presented conversion, sort of a resto cal sleeper that may sit in the garage for a few weeks at a time but comes out for a play on sunny days and the occaisional show, with a dozen or so RWYB runs up the strip - without breaking. No burn outs, no dough-nuts but occasional fair but firm use.

I won't be side stepping the clutch at 6k on slicks, or power shifting without the clutch, but in the same breath, I don't want to go to all the time and trouble of building something that I need to tread on egg shells with in case I break it?

Hope that makes sense?

Also, is my theory correct here?.... I think it is much better to start with the most powerful standard engine I can find, than to start with a weaker motor and have to tune it later? My intention would be to use an STi unit 280bhp + from the get go. For the difference in cost, later tuning doesn't seam worth it over starting with the big guns in the first place?