View Single Post
Old April 17th 2006, 18:35

Smile

Actually my wife is from Bogota, Colombia, her whole family is down here, I was working in Miami as the director if IT, for a friend's wood products manufacturing company, I used to put in 15, 16 hour days, day in and day out, stressed our of my mind, one day after coming down here to bogota for Christmas, I asked the wife if she felt like "dropping out" of the "dog race", she was hesitant at first, but said she would support whatever descision I made. I came down from Miami a few more times, started setting everything up, gave my 6 months notice, and have never looked back, we have been down here 16 months now, and have no regrets, I started restoring BD buses (pre 55 VW buses), started selling some, overseas as projects, started making the metal parts to restore these cars properly, I have since started importing convertible early ghias and beetles for South American "consumption" (not many were originally imported), and things are moving right along, this place is nice, it has the usual problems a big city has (7 million people), the traffic is mad, the people are ok, I have never felt threathened, or intimidated, the best part about this place is the country side, man it is amazing, that is the main reason I do not want to leave, I have been all over the world 10 times over, but this place has the most amazing vistas, foliage, wild life, plants etc. But back to cars, this situation allows me to try and build the cars that I have always wanted to build, the BD bus and lowlight convertible ghia that I want to build will blow the socks off the VW crowd, some will like it, some will hate it, some will want to kill me, but there is no way in hell you will not comment on it, you guys are the "initiated/illuminated" ones, you guys understand what it is all about, 95% of the others do not understand, screw them, they do not know what they are missing out on, again, glad to be here, glad to be part of this.