View Single Post
Old July 11th 2006, 03:53

Update!

I have an update. It took me a little longer than expected. Life gets in the way sometimes.

First I tried drop spindles with a standard beam. Pushed the wheels out and wasn't really low enough. Even though I had no weight in it. So I tried a 2inch narrowed beam with adjusters and drop spindles. I could get the perfect hight, but the steering radius was a joke. I had almost none. I had to do something else. Awhile back I found a guy named John Kelly. He made weld on flares for the Ghia. Nice looking flares, but a lot of cheddar. (money) Almost $1,200! Fat Cheddar! When I found a dvd he made, I didn't think I could do it. But I'm out of options. So I bought the dvd. I love it. I just wish he did more on the Ghia. His method is to stretch the metal. I'm hoping to widden the front by at least an inch and a half. That would be a lot better for turning radius. I put the stock beam back in it with stock spindles. The drop are going to be machined for the 993 brakes. Here are a few pictures of what little work I've done on it. I've already bought a palm nailer, the hammer is killing my arm already. And I have a few more tools (toys) coming to help with the fender shapeing. Right now it measures about 1/2-3/4inch widder than it was when I started. I made marks to I measure the same spot each time. The only major snag I've run into is the friggin' seam in both fenders. I hate it. There is no way around it. I can just TRY to work with it. They did a terrible job. In about 10 minutes I beat out most of the low spots they just filled with putty. I'm using a leather bag full of sand and a ballpen hammer, then a hammer and dolly to flatten out the bumps in the metal. I already know the fender will have some putty in it, but there isn't much I can do especialy around that seam. I thought about welding a new fender on it. But after I get over the heart attack of the cost. It would be a ton of work. Not sure if it would really be worth it. I'll just keep my seams and work with them.

The rear is a whole differant story. It's not even the same book. I'm going to have to do some major head scratching on that one. The problem isn't the fender really, it's the inner fender. I have to almost cut it all out. Work out the fender like I'm doing the front, and put the inner fender back in. It's going to be some crazy fab. And I'll be lucky if I make it look like anything. If I had a set of 9"s I'd just take a peice of 3/8" square stock and make a new wheel opening with that, then lay a peice of new sheet metal on that to make the fender. Then shape it like I'm shaping the front. Then I can widden the fender any amount. With either metod I'll have to do some crazy work with the inner fender. The cost of a Ghia I guess.

I did some other work before the fenders. I realized a while back that the cost of sun visors for a '64 and earlier are crazy money. They attach to the rear view mirror. Over $100. Way too much. So I just bought some visors for a '65 and newer I decided to just make those fit. Luckily Tim had a roof clip, for what ever reason I have no clue, off a '68 or '69 Ghia he use to own. With all the metal work I've been doing on Tim's '47 I decided I'd section in the header peice for the sun visors. Just cut the old peice out and cut the new peice long. Then trim it to fit. And it'll be covered by headliner. So it won't be obvious. See picture below... I didn't realize it until I got home and downloaded it off my camera but it didn't turn out so good. I should have used the flash. But trust me, that header has been replaced.

And I replaced the original battery tray in the engine compartment. It was just a big hole. My first body man, what a joke, cut it out with intentions of replacing the metal. See picture below...

On a personal note: I won't be making any more trips to the great white north. My girlfriend and I broke up. Oh well, now I can go crazy on my vw. I don't like the fact I won't get to meet up with Lanner again and maybe some of the BAG guys.

Comments? Questions? About the project. Always glad to recieve either or both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Header (Small).jpg (38.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Battery tray (Small).jpg (31.7 KB, 73 views)
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...