View Single Post
Old January 3rd 2012, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Maybe I can chime in with my opinion.
My biggest push to go Subaru is cost. For far less than a type 4 or type 1, I can have a reliable Subaru. Even with the cost of the radiator, computer, adapter... the cost is far less, but the work is far more.
My opinion is that the suburu engine isn't that reliable if you really want to get some real power from it.
With some real power, the costs are just as high as for an aircooled engine.

Eventually, something will need repairing and/or maintainance, see how cheap your modern 16V engine is then...
Subaru engines are just not that efficient (don't have the VE) or have the reliability of Honda K-engines and Mitsubishi EVO engines (or the Toyota 2jz). Even the STi-tuners/shops (read nasioc for that) are in agreement with that.

You remain with the sad part of hacking up your car and considerably more total engine weight, which needs even more power to overcome, which it doesn't give untill you go to an accomplished engine builder/suby tuner shop.
With a heavy subaru conversion, you simply also need more power then an aircooled engine.
Subaru conversions are usually never about performance and generally struggle to be anywhere near fast.
And if they have a properly strong hp output to overcome their extra weight, they aren't cheap anymore...

Personally I think with today's excellent EFI computers, any engine can be made to run reliable with great power. Partly to find that out and or prove the point beyond doubt, I am building a 1200cc T1 engine with EFI and a small subaru (yesss!) turbo destined for 150-200hp.
Its pretty low cost and I am sure it will be powerfull, reliable and much more economical (mpg) then a your average 2+ltr suburu.
Think about what you could do with a 1600cc T1 or 1700 T4 engine...

My personal opinion is that all that complain about cost, just have no experience to build an aircooled engine (or subaru engine for that matter) properly. Not intended to insult anybody, but wouldn't it be far more fun and rewarding to build your own engine, learn something in the process and accomplish something with a '30-s design that rivals modern 16 valve engines? With this über simple engine design with ever increasing performance industry and better and more efficient parts coming available everyday (yes, contrary to popular believe and everybody's moaning about parts quality), its THE most rewarding place to start. Just learn not to assemble an engine but to BUILD an engine. Big difference. Plus the nice thing is that if you BUILD your engine, your much less dependent/susceptable to part quality.
Get a good manual and then another one and start reading and doing.
This is hobby right? You can take your own time right? It doesn't have to be finished in 2 weeks time, which makes the cost factor an even less issue as costs over time is what counts usually.

Thats my opinion anyways.