View Single Post
Old August 16th 2002, 15:04

Raby's getting over 180hp out of his 2270 "packages" now. That is pretty impressive.

As for 200hp in a bug? You say you've only been in a 60hp bug? I think you need to try some stepping stones first.

One of my friends drove a 60hp bug. He thinks, "Hey, goes pretty well." So, he bought an 1835 with dual 44 Webers. WHOA, this thing goes REAL well. You know, smoking supercharged Pontiacs and stuff.

Decided to build a 2270. Lots of tricks and upgrades, goes through the motions, puts it together. We fire it up, and everything seems fine. He set the compression low (about 8.6:1) just to get a good feel for how it would run. What we didn't know was that the cam and lifters he was sent from the supplier were not both Webcam (the cam was, but lifters were not). After a short time running the lifters ate the cam.

BUT, what we can both tell you is that this thing was completely NOT RIGHT. 3rd gear at 20mph, plant your foot and it would move out with authority. 3rd gear turning a corner at idle, floor it and it would spin the rear tires. SERIOUS torque.

THAT'S WITH LIFTERS EATING THE CAM!!!!

So, we tore it back down, got the right cam and lifters, upgraded his ignition system, and bumped the compression to 9.5:1.

Wanna guess how it'll run now.

Trust me, 150hp+ in a bug is just wrong. Even 100hp is pretty damned fun.

Later,

G