Thread: Megasquirt
View Single Post
Old February 2nd 2004, 10:40

There are several working MS systems on 914's, go ask over on the 914club.com

The one thing with a turbo is that MS is FI only, no programmable ignition w/retard.
You can get Mega-jolt, which uses ford ignition components, but I don't know if that ties into the MS system or is stand-alone. If it does tie into the MS you need a 2 bar MAP to activate the ignition retard. Yes you could modify a stock dizzy to retard under boost. I think Mega-jolt is about the same price as the mega-squirt.

The fuel line ? depends on what you plan to do with the bug. Just street or AX? For just street all you need is a T at the tank, for AX you should have a surge ring or tank, FI hates sucking air in the twisties.

On the injectors there is a bit more to it than running whatever you want. If you run low impedance injectors without resistors you will burn stuff out. To big or to small will also cause headaches.

All of the MS systems that I know of, so far, did not run correctly without at least a couple of hours of dyno time. The SDS doesn't really need a dyno to tune, at least mine didn't. I'm saying this to make sure you compare apples to apples. Count the MS and Mega-jolt, a laptop, build time, wire harness, connectors plus a couple of hours dyno time and the savings are not quite as huge a some would lead you to believe.

The 2 main reasons I went with SDS is that #1 it has it's own controller so it doesn't matter if an OS is out of date and #2 for me time is money. It took a major amount of time just to plumb/wire the system let alone if I had to build it.

But if you do have the time it is a neat project and you will have a better understanding of how FI works.
Mark