View Single Post
Old September 4th 2009, 05:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
The 30mm is for the front Its misplaced there in the catalog, I agree.
They have 19mm and 22mm both as upgraded bars, but the 944 models do not have an engine in the rear...

The 944 may not have the engine in the rear but in standard form has a 30% uprated wheel rate compared with the beetle and a wider track that in combination ought to increase the roll stiffness as well as reduce the roll couple and yet they found it necessary to introduce an anti roll bar.

I take your point about the relatively small rear wheel movement of your Bug and I always consider the installation of an AR bar to be a fine tuning aid once the basics of the suspension has been decided. As a starting point the normal basic principle is to have a car that performs on the understeer side of a neutral balance as being the safest and most controllable state. Having a vehicle that performs like a jet fighter i.e. in a state of imbalance that requires constant driver input needs a skilled hand to even drive it safely. As you increase the roll stiffness with AR bars that nerviousness increases although the limits of adhesion are raised ever higher. Taking a Formula car running monoshock suspension the roll stiffness is very high with a small roll couple. Those cars are virtually uncatchable when the adhesion is lost. the moral here is to take care when adding AR bars and know exactly what you are doing that ought to be backed up with empirical data lest you create a beast that only has one bite that is fatal.