View Single Post
Old December 14th 2007, 10:56

Steve, i bet they where placed for an ac system. if u take the 1303 dash out of the car and look from its inside u will see that behind the cutout positions u mentioned, the metal frame of the dash is actually cut...

Also bear in mind that the 1303 is a redesign of the 1302 and imo not very detailed. i mean that some features where partially incorporated (as the louvre positions u mention) to comply with US requirements for import.

In the book "the Beetle - Production History of th people's car" by Etzold (ISBN 0 85429 985 8) page 172 in the bodywork section of important mods (cont. from page 171) as entry 1.8.73 from chassis no 1342000005 (1303) in says:

Ventilation: fresh and warm air outlet jets to right and left below windscreen. Formely full width ventilation

from my knowledge, there is a plastic "box" with two flaps, operated by the knobs in the centre section of the dash. the first one directs fresh air to the defroster vents under the windscreen or towards the second flap, which either blocks the centre louvres or lets them flow fresh air again.

on each side, on the door pillar, there is an air hose that comes upwards, from the heater channel, after the foot louvres and connects to a scoop that in turn connects to a metal flange(bolted on the upper section of the front bulkhead to seal between the bulkhead, its self and the dasboard to create the demister plenum. flow output is dectated by engine's rpm, heater lever position and feet louvres open or closed.

I havent found a means of the defroste outlet jets (round bits on the sides of the das) being connected to either system fresh or heating. This justyfies my previous staement of the 1303 not being carefuly being thought after.

sorry for the long post

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL