View Single Post
Old December 14th 2007, 18:46

Hi Chris

Thanks for that info. The small outlets on the end of the dash are connected to the same tube that comes up from the heater channel and goes to the defroster outlets on the windscreen. I've seen cars with speakers for split systems mounted there.

I owned the same flat screen 1302 for 31 years, I sold it and now have 2 1303s. One is my daily driver, the other a long term project.

After having lived with a 1303 as a daily driver, the one thing I think where VW dropped the ball is the dash. To do anything at all electrical on it you need to remove the speedo and plastic fascias and poke around and work mostly by feel, and I'm always catching my feet on the fuse box.

My daily driver 1303 is mostly stock but compared to a flat screen 1302 the high speed slipperiness of the 1303 very noticeable and I've driven many miles in both cars in stock form. It must be the windscreen shape?

The much longer attachment where the front 1/4s meets the windscreen scuttle will offer much better stiffness, my last 1302 cracked in this area.

On my other 1303 project I'm fitting air conditioning, the Subaru motor I'm using still has the compressor etc, plus I'm a big girls blouse.

I've got it mostly nutted out in my head. I've managed to fit a much more powerful 3 speed fan in the air box under the hood, the air vents to this box will be closed off and the fan will only draw air from inside the cabin, so the air will recirculate only. The evaporator will be inside the cabin on the other side of the firewall in a box, this box will distribute cooled air to either windscreen or out the dash louvres. To make it easier to work on this contraption I'm planning to make part of the top of the dash removable, a bit like a T3 Transporter instrument cover.

Sorry for my long reply, Steve