View Single Post
Old May 26th 2020, 12:34
Administrator

Well, in this case we disagree. There are quite a few top engine builders in the USA who have had the pushrod holes as a "secret", as evidenced when we started talking to some of them about the rocker issue on the Rally Bug. The aim here is to get a little splash oiling up on the rocker tips, it has nothing to do with the rocker shaft.

With the hole as small as it is, evidence shows we are getting oil spray, and as the pushrod rotates it naturally changes where the spray is going. I can absolutely confirm that it will spray and reach the valve tip. Don't forget, with the accusump I can pressurize the entire oil system on my car without starting it it...which means I've been able to see it in action, with the motor not running.

110,000 miles on the Rally Bug motor, rocker shafts have no appreciable wear, so I'd say any fear of removing oil from the shafts via these tiny holes, is not something I'm going to worry about.

I've read all about the Hoover mods, and simply choose not to do them due to relatively low failure rate of the stock system and time/effort to do them.

But fair enough, all I can tell you is that I've been using the mod for thousands of miles, with success. I wouldn't do another dry-sump motor without it. I did it on this wet-sump motor "just because"...not because I think it _needs_ it.
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap