View Single Post
Old April 9th 2007, 13:37

I've been thinking...

to design a front suspension there are several "static" Measurements you need to start with.
ride height, roll center, track width and wheelbase
change any one of these and suspension design will not perform as it should.

so how do you design a universal "kit" that anyone can bolt onto the front end of their VW and expect it to perform, considering most will want to alter their ride height from stock, and there will be no set ride height that will make everyone happy.

I think I may have an idea that will allow at least some ride height options, without changing the suspension characteristics too much.
problem is, things start to get expensive.

how much would the average budget be for a kit like this?
a comparable Mustang II kit for a streetrod would be 3-4k

I personally wouldn't want to spend that much, how much would we be willing to spend?

also, Liability, insurance and safety approval costs money too, I'd hate to build a system, and get sued six months later by someone who couldn't bother to read instructions, or was abusing it beyond its designed tollerances.

I'd almost consider doing it, if it weren't for the leagal issues, or sell it as " for display purposes only," with no warranty expressed or implied.

and last issue, copy cats. a guy spends the time and money to design a system, and half a dozen others start building them with no R&D time, in direct competition.

I donno, there's a lot of desire out there for this sort of thing, but is there any money? only way to find out is to try.

Give me 6 months or so, I may have something scabbed together.