View Single Post
Old December 1st 2010, 05:26

Quote:
I am of the impression that the Remmele T1-T4 heads actually run hotter then stock heads as a friend of mine has one of his Remmele 2,8ltr engines with those heads and I saw CHT running onwards to nearly 600F (under the spark plug) when he stepped on it on the street for a relatively short moment.
My assumption (but you knwowhat they say about ASSumptions ) is that those heads also CAN run hotter without much problems because they are so strong/stiff. Its just not that good for tuning imo. Alu cylinders would be able to take some heat away from the heads, especially those solid cast heads would benefit imo.
So the cylinders are indeed not a heat problem in itself, but can help solve the heat problem of the heads...

Also nikasil coating would minimize the friction heat and losses. Its always better solution therefore imho to run alu-nikasil on such an engine and usually worth the cost when you compare total cost of a Remmele engine.
BTW: Alusil is NOT the same as alu with a nikasil coating!! Alusil is what the old 944/928 engines used as block and liner material. MB used it too. Nikasil is better, but a tiny bit more expensive than alusil. Well worth the extra effort imo and so did porsche.
I remember you telling about your friends car witrh the Remmele heads.I don´t know why his motor runs that hot to be honest.You´re probably right also about Remmele´s heads beeing able to withstand more heat.But again,i can´t confirm that.I can only confirm what I have seen
Yes, the Alusil cylinders are different from the Nickies.However,the Remmele cylinders are also aluminum with nakasilcoating that were cast in a steel mold (Stahlkokille).You can nickasil coat any cylinder.Most aircraft cylinders are nickasil coated,the ones that aren´t are chrome coated (which is not better).The saturation and time if nickasil determines how far into the material it penetrates and therefore it longevity and wear properties.

Johannes Person makes some fantastic stuff,no doubt.But I agree with Wally,what can he make that hasn´t been done before and would it be somewhat affordable? His type 1 stuff is top notch and so is the price. Also,the quality parts that are out there are becoming increasingly expensive.Meanwhile Jake Raby´s engines cost just as much as Remmele´s engines do,because the costs to build them has risen aswell.Soon Remmele will have his own cranks,rods and pistons made in Germany in his programm,so he will no longer be dependant on overseas companies and their occasional quality issues.But since Remmele introduced his 3 liter,the price hasn´t gone up even with the improvements he has made.
There are a lot of good engines and engine builders in this industry,just depends on what you want.