Thread: NACA scoops.
View Single Post
Old January 8th 2004, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
How much of a bend can I put in the 3" hose that comes off of my naca scoop without hurting the air flow. I have to place the hoses into a "S" shape. The purpose of the ducts is to introduce cool air to the cooling fan and an oil cooler.
I don't remember the equation that would give the relationship between angle-of-hose to loss-of-radius but it may be more significant than you think -- especially when there will be two bends.

Is it possible to have a pipe or hose made with a Mandrel bend? Or is it possible to have a four inch hose made with three inch ends such that it will be the four inch diameter section that will contain the bends?

I am also concerned about the actual physics of the air flow. If, for example, the three inch hose is reduced to a two inch average diameter at the first bend, the air flow will not be regained in the next three inch section. Then, the flow has to face another bend in the S-shape configuration.

If the above alternatives are not possible, I hope there is a way to monitor the results of what you do scientifically.

Last edited by oasis; January 8th 2004 at 15:03.