View Single Post
Old April 18th 2011, 08:19

Cams

Hi, one thing I have noticed about VW cams; the case hardness. I had a 2332 type one chew up some lifters just like that. It is my understanding that most cams come some-wat hardened. However the lifter are harden. From what I remember in the first start up we should run up the rpm to 2500-3000 for about one hour. This is supposed to season the cam, or equally hardened both parts. Something was of lessor hardness, no doubt. My question is, are you to believe that things won't go even more wrong? Even I a know nothing, knows better than that.

The problem is, with VW's doing a cam is just like doing a total overhaul. On my type IV project, I bought a cam from Pauter with a one inch base circle. I was told that the cam would not be any problems. Most sellers of cams don't harden their cams, they send them out. And I wonder just how much do they pay to have their cams tempered. I had my cam re-hardened to 61 Rockwell, I plan to buy a set of hardened 356 styled lifters to match my cam. At one point I want to try and do a roller cam setup. I went to Iskyderian camshafts. I was lucky enough to speak with Ed Iskyderian himself. He did not want to make a one time cam. But he did share something with me; he said roller cams are both equally hardened to the same hardness. Thus me having my cam hardened. I would not send the many bits of metal though out my engine. I also would buy a new cam and have it hardened myself. Lastly get a good set of lifters. On my 356 lifters I had a .020 oil hole laser drilled, did your lifter come with the oil hole? Is you lifters and bore re-bored for type one lifters. To much work and possible engine failure to chance it. Is the name Jake the same as Jake Raby? Once you damaged the hardend area, its just surface hardend.