View Single Post
Old July 25th 2012, 00:16

This past weekend the bug went up on jack stands and I started pulling parts. First to go was the dead turbo and the header responsible. There is so much play in the turbo it's a wonder that it didn't blow more oil when the car was running, it is obviously done.

Here's the new unit from AGP, another t3/t4 hybrid to get me through the end of the season. I tried to get a rebuild kit but it was cheaper to buy a new turbo than to rebuild/rebalance. Also new is the tial 38mm v-band wastegate, with a base spring pressure of .5 bar/7 psi, I plan to keep this around after the future motor swap.

Got the DRD header on for a test fit. I'll need to modify the lower oil cooler support to give more clearance for the header and wastegate, but the fitment is good. I was worried it wouldn't clear the oil sump, which it cleared just fine, but it actually didn't clear the bugpack kafer brace. The brace didn't really work so it's coming out and getting replaced.

Next up was the front suspension which has needed new struts for a a shamefully long time. How long? Long enough for the blown out shock oil to have dried into power and collected at the bottom of the strut tube. These inserts have been in there since 02/03 when I had the struts fabbed up. They are sectioned 944 n/a struts with about 4" cut out of them to use a rabbit gti strut insert. After 10 years of racing they still look good, but I did find one problem. Weld on the inside of the tube kept the new koni adjustable inserts from going in. New long reach bits for the die grinder are on the way and should be here tomorrow.

I had to stop there for the day, kind of frustrating hitting blocks with everything but that's the custom fab life. Still in the mail is header wrap and ties, a new Mendeola stiffy 5-bar kafer brace, and some exhaust bends. I've also got a new berg mid-mount that needs to be welded in though I'm not sure that will get done in time.