Thread: T5 Oxy-Boxer
View Single Post
Old February 16th 2003, 16:53

Hi Joe,
I just looked at prices for complete or core 2,1 DJ engines here and they are very, very expensive. Since you then have to do the machine work and buy a rather expensive piston/cylinder set if you want anything more than 94 mm bore, I experienced the venture more expensive then a type 4 in general. I reckon all the accesories (induction, cooling, exhaust) cost about the same if you want quality. Maybe the cores are more readily available and thus cheaper to get in the usa...
Make no mistake, I like the wbx/oxyboxer idea very much: Gerd Weiser in germany has build one, which has been tested in VW Speed magazine (great aticle) and one drove in the type 1 class in the kaefer cup with great succes, but cheaper or better than type 4, not so in my opinion.
I like the engine in original form even that much, that i think of putting one in a Type 3 squareback. Imaging: 112 hp with original injection, so its low for fitting under the hood of the type 3 and has great heating possibilities, when made fit... I'am still a bit worried of the cracks between the cylinder heads that they all seem to have and live happily with...,still...
Like your work with the obx engines though; its much, much better than T1, that's for sure.
Greetings,
Walter