View Single Post
Old June 2nd 2009, 20:33

OK, long time no update!!!

Well, the new radiator is TOTALLY out of harms way, so I'm assured of no further issues there. I would seriously wreck the under belly of the nose and the frame head before the radiator would be affected.

Cooling was a little bit of an issue, as the new rad is not in airflow at all. I needed to cut one of the rad hoses a little more than I did so it made an odd angle and a high spot in the system that allowed air to be trapped there, but by manually milking the air to the bleed spot I think I got most of it out.

Still needed some airflow though, so before Bugorama(the night before in fact) I made an ABS scoop by heating and forming. It's quite lightweight and doesn't even do a particularily good job of forcing air through the rad, but it works SOOO well!!! The fans wouldn't come on at all unless I sat idleing for quite awhile. I will probably build another lightweight one like this that is the standard scoop making it completely sealed to force air ONLY through the rad, while the one I'm working on with the M3 lip would be more track only as it's lower and a higher risk of being ripped off because it's much more stiff.

The track runs at Bugorama went fine. The best time as shot by Humble(Will) was 13.5, but the biggest problem I was having was the shifter not being smooth due to issues with the Porsche shifter not really having a good gate setup. I'll work on that. The other problem was my little stock 1.8t intercooler sitting behind my seat. It gets no air flow, so by the end of the track it was totally heat soaked.

On Monday coming up I have an appointment at 034 Motorsport to have the intercooler plumbing squared away. I already have the intercooler and I'll fab up the mounts this weekend. Once that's squared away I can start working on the quarter window scoop that will deliver air to the intercooler plenum, then out the stock rear window ducts.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S