View Single Post
Old July 13th 2011, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
Hi Zo,

I'm sure there are other opinion but here is mine as a start:
Option 1
Big heavy calipers with lots of custom installation issues.
Option 2
Well proven, lightweight and most installation have been de-bugged by other, plenty of installation experience. More braking than the bug will need - ever. BTW I have fitted 944T/928S4 calipers under 15" wheels. Porsche calipers readily available at reasonable prices. My Merc Brembo 4 pots were more expensive than either of the Porsche Brembo alloy calipers. Scan all the Euro EBay sites?
Option 3
Very expensive but the ultimate performance. All custom build requiring good machining skill for the brackets etc. Details of the AP stuff is comprehensively found on here: http://www.apracing.com/
Option 4
Only Porsche stuff sensible here as the brake bias of all front and mid-engined cars is completely wrong. The Lotus is a production car witha great deal of development time by great engineers to make low grade brake components work on their high(ish) performance car. Transfer that technology across to a bug and I bet you will be disappointed.

Clive
Thanks for the answer Clive (as always)! Yeah, I'm keeping my eyes on all European ebay sites

2, only advantage is the weight and maybe the mounting, if you have different pcd it is still far from plug and play

3, it's hard to find your way and do something nobody has done before, based on just numbers and theories..I'm reading a few kit car forums to find something similar to the bug. Btw those "locost" builder guys are happy with Ford and GM brakes, most of them use sliding calipers...

4, I'm still not convinced. Lotus has a 32/68 weight distribution that is not far from the bug's. Based on your bias concern the 944T setup shouldn't work for a bug as it comes from a front engined car with 51/49 weight distribution with notabily stronger front calipers than rears. Despite of it everybody is happy with a 944T brake setup on beetle...These are the things that make me confused, because I'm still with you about same brakes on rear/front..Also Wally suffered / (suffers?) from early locking front brakes as far as I know.

I have only 1 personal experience about this brake stuff. When I upgraded my old drums to discs, I put a bone stock VW unit in the front and a VW Golf4 rear one in the back, both with non vented rotors and stock pads. It was at least twice good as with the drums before, that is a fact. Now which is the right conclusion of the story
1, VW has designed the front brakes stronger -> this is the way, VW engineers alway know what they are doing
2, While making the rear stronger, it was still the front locking first -> Porsche has the way to follow, due to weight distribution these kind of cars really do need bigger rear brakes.

Would be happy to hear other inputs or experiences as well!

Last edited by Bogara_ZO; July 14th 2011 at 03:41.