View Single Post
Old July 14th 2011, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogara_ZO View Post

3, it's hard to find your way and do something nobody has done before, based on just numbers and theories..I'm reading a few kit car forums to find something similar to the bug. Btw those "locost" builder guys are happy with Ford and GM brakes, most of them use sliding calipers...

4, I'm still not convinced. Lotus has a 32/68 weight distribution that is not far from the bug's. Based on your bias concern the 944T setup shouldn't work for a bug as it comes from a front engined car with 51/49 weight distribution with notabily stronger front calipers than rears. Despite of it everybody is happy with a 944T brake setup on beetle...These are the things that make me confused, because I'm still with you about same brakes on rear/front..Also Wally suffered / (suffers?) from early locking front brakes as far as I know.

...........!
My opinion on sliding calipers is that they are primarily a low cost option for the mainstream manufacturers. They will work well on lightweight or underbraked vehicle but they are certainly not the best, which is what I and others aspire to.

My current set up is 944 single pot on the front with 23mm m/c piston and 944T/928S4 calipers at the rear with 19mm m/c piston. Therefore my set up is substantially rear biased and I still get front lock up although now that the pads are bedded in all four will lock together in a panic stop on dry tarmac, which is what I wanted to achieve.