View Single Post
Old July 26th 2011, 05:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
I think, realistically for a beetle, a ~12" (~300mm) vented rotor is about the biggest rotor you would need. 10-11" would be about perfect. For calipers, lightweight 4-pots would be best, but even 2-pot on each corner would be fine. Matching the calipers to the MC would be the biggest challenge if you choose to mix and match from different manufacturers. Another thing to consider is consumables like brake pads, high end calipers may need specific non-standard pads.

Going with a wilwood 4-pot 11" setup similar to a miata would be a great starting point and you would still be able to use 15" wheels (the best for cheap, sticky tires). My second suggestion would be a 944 turbo setup (12" rotors, 4-pots) with a 911/930 MC, with easier to find parts, possibly cheaper too.
Thanks for the input Humble!

As I'm located in Europe I'm willing to mix european car parts. The brake pads is a very good point, that's why I'm trying to use calipers from popular cars. Actually I found a place where they make custom rotors, so maybe I should order a set with standard beetle bearing for the front with my BMW Brembo calipers that originally was used with 316x28 vented rotors. They may clear some 16" as well...the only thing I'm not pleased is the weight: each one is nearly 4 kg, that is a lot! so maybe I should pick up a Porsche caliper that - based on Clive's measurements - weights < 3 kg each

I will check the mentioned wilwood setup as well