View Single Post
Old August 23rd 2011, 06:17

when i built my car i ran the 944 n/a set up. total overkill and very heavy. i was happy with the balance of them but have changed over to stock disc's on the front with a set of front calipers on the rear with some aftermarket disc's. this works very well on my car used for hill climbs and is light.
if i was to upgrade i would be going for some light 2 pots all round with some vented disc's on the front and solid on the rear all mounted on bells to again keep the wieght down, on the front you could make up some alloy hubs to further ruduce wieght.
even with the stock front brakes and the 17 inch race bubber i now run i can still lock the front up if i push hard enough, only problem i can see is if i do a track day i will be running into temp problems with the stock pads but a better pad and some decent air ducting i think i could get round that.
going to the lotus thing, i have a exige in the workshop that runs the AP set up, the car has a civic type r engine fitted and the brakes are very good, this is partly down to running some very sticky rubber and the cars light wieght.
its not just about the brakes its down to the whole car, big brakes but a light car and small thin tyres you are not going to be able stop quicker than the tyres are goping to let you, again a heavy car on wide sticky tyres will over work a stock set up quite quickly.