View Single Post
Old October 21st 2002, 10:32

I favor a TIV because I build them both, drive them both and see which ones cause me more problems.

The auto linea case is aftermarket, thats the problem. I have micced one and found the thrust deck too low from the factory, cylinder spigots out of center, distributor pinions not bored straight or the correct size,uneven case decks by .035 and the list goes on.

Not to mention the fact that the cases have a "NON THROUGH BOLT" design that seriously reduces their strength. A TIV engine is a factory performance engine. Any engine that starts out as 100BHP is one hell of alot safer to make 200BHP in performance trim, than an engine that starts out with 48-52hp before mods.

TI engines suffer from crappy specifications, an aftermarket that absolutely sucks and is full of money hogs that build junk just to make something shine, or make it appear to be "Gold plated" in a magazine ad.

Porsche chose the TIV engine for the 914 and 912E for a reason, you never see TI engines in road race cars, guess why??? Yet I build TIV engines that turn 7K for 40-50 second blasts down the back straights at road race courses and they last for literally years.....

If you want to drive the car, and drive long distances with good MPG, cool running temps, a powerband that loves to run 90MPH all day, and does not break everyday, buy a TIV. If you don't mind working on the engine all the time, want big power for the 1/4 mile, don't care about driving 200+ miles one way all the time, then buy a TI and have fun.

VW and Porsche are the only 2 cars I own, the newest one besing my 76' 912E, I drove 38,000 miles last year in aircooled cars, some of them as old as 40 years....I have nothing else and all of them are TIV powered except one, and it's a 222.7BHP animal that is used for drag racin only.