View Single Post
Old June 24th 2004, 19:54

On a 1973 SB you definitely want to shift some of the weight forward. I will assure you a better ride, plus, lowering the car all the way around will make it less prone to crosswind shift(at least it felt that way to me)

The battery in the front is a good plus, as is rear bumper in fibreglass and front stock metal. side glass will lose you like 10lbs to 8lbs each, nothing crazy. You want to lose weight in the car, but mantain structure rigidity and for safety reasons a car that will not fold on itself. I think the fibreglass decklid is not a bad idea. You can also replace the trailing arms with alloy units from a 944 Porsche, but the weight you save is not that much.

Eliminate the rear seat and folding back. Some of the stock insulating materual it's too heavy and can be replaced with stuff that's better and lighter.

Basically, you can take all of the insulation out of the car and replace it with fire retardant foam like found at the Home depot(like .99c a foot) its a carpet padding for homes, but weights almost nothing and not flammable at all.

if you don't need it, don't even bother with it.

remember, weight saving is good, but a car that can handle a collision is better.

E