View Single Post
Old June 18th 2008, 13:01

got my motor...

Gents,
Got my new 05' STI engine.

Issues to overcome & the solutions to the problems.
1. This engine comes with a servo-tronic throttle body. So either hack the Suby pedal cluster for all the sensors and bits or junk it, and use the bug pedals but I need a cable driven throttle body...
2. Throttle position sensor in that throttle body must be 'replaced' with use of bug pedal cluster.
3. extra sensors and bits that will not be needed, figuring those out and removing them?
4. wire harness adaptation to the car (removal of security system/different sensors needed or not needed to be wired in or out of the system...)
5. ECU? Stock v.s. non-stock

1 - solution. Replace 05' throttle body with an older SOHC Throttle Body from a forester 2.5 (cable throttle to replace servo-throttle).
2 - solution. With the above mentioned throttle body a different TP sensor will be used, but must be wired in...making a change to the harness mandatory
3 - solution. Remove all extra bits from the motor leaving only the bare essentials to motor functionality ( debating on the AC system but removing everything else).
4 - solution. Custom fabbed harness to join new throttle and sensors into engine harness.
5 - solution. Use a fully aftermarket ECU that is custom mapped for the new throttle body and its sensors, allows for dyno-tuning and much more 'fine' tuning.

At this point I believe that I will be working with OutFrontMotorSports here in the states to get this all dialed in. They have a strong rep for doing these installs into sand rails. For me the application is similar but I will tune and build for street use. So I am expecting about $2000.00 - ish to overcome the throttle body / ECU dilema, but this will give me a "pretty simple plug-n-play" solution... i hope.

So what are others doing to work with this engine and its unique aspects?
Anyone try to adapt the pedal cluster yet? what are you guys doing about the extra parts that you don't need?

am I on track and making sense?

have I missed anything that someone doing this job already has come up against?

thanks for your time in regards.