View Single Post
Old May 11th 2010, 15:58

I had a 4 core rad built, however I could have easily made one work from another car. I just wanted one with very specific dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAbeetle View Post
First, how much is your budget?

Look consider these things about subarus:
1. They get hot, trust me I own a WRX.
2. The engines aren't cheap- and the cheap ones are usually on their last leg
3. Have you beefed up your transaxle yet?
4. Taken into consideration that you are going to need a whole new CUSTOM exhaust/intake system?
5. Thought about the fact that you are going to need to do some SERIOUS electrical work to get that EFI system to sync up with your gauges.

Its not just some drop in mod.
Its a lot of work, and a lot of expensive work. To do a turbo one right- I would price it about... 10000 dollars easy.
Some good information here but I'll offer my 2 cents

1. I wouldn't say they run 'hot'. I have a EJ22 in my bus with the factory subaru rad and fans, and the ej20 turbo in my bug and both run right on 180F no matter how hard you're driving or how hot it is.

2. You can find good used engines for pretty decent prices, it just depends a lot on where you are though.

5. The electrical is a lot of time if you're up for it its not terrible to do, or you can buy a harness already cut and ready to go

I agree a turbo conversion is much more expensive, but when I did my bus, I had $4000 to get it on the road including purchasing the bus that had been sitting for 20 years. You can definitely do it for less than $10,000 depending on what you can do yourself. If I were looking to do it on a serious budget I'd put a 2.2 SOHC in a beetle, requires the least amount of work (don't have to move transaxle, less stress on transaxle, and no engine bay cutting).

Mike