View Single Post
Old May 20th 2010, 19:05

If the seam between the apron and floor of the tire well is cut, then the metal bent down to act as a duct, a lot of air can be forced/gathered.

Then the cool air has to be sealed/ducted to be forced through the rad.

Finally, the area behind the rad on the back wall of the spared tire and below the gas tank has to be swiss cheesed or at least opened up enough to allow the hot air to escape. A push fan can be added to the front of the rad, or if the rad can be placed away from the back wall, a pull fan behind, to get the airflow if not travelling.

You'll end up with a much more subtle look than the common "nostril" effect of cutting holes in the hood, much more sleeper. The area in the spare tire well is large enough to get a large radiator in, and a custom aluminum with enough water volume should keep it happy.

The 2 keys are:

- sealed ducting to trap and force any airflow through the rad and allow it to escape out the back side
- making sure you've completely eliminated any trapped air in the coolant line.

Here is one in action. It doesn't have enough ducting in my opinion, but they've cut the whole area out behind the rad. They went with the in-betwee aproach to air inlet by cutting out the front of the apron instead of the hood, but it's still obvious compared with just adjusting the floor of the tire well. He's running 280hp BTW.

1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S

Last edited by volkdent; May 20th 2010 at 19:13.