Thread: Gauge Art
View Single Post
Old August 2nd 2004, 14:21

I spent a lot of time researching the different options and in doing so I became a gauge lover. I looked into VDO, Autometer, Westach, SPA, Stack, and Porsche 914. The 914 stuff beat out the other options because:
* Biggest tach diameter available
* OEM/GL look -- clean, simple cluster
* All gauges from same maker

Then I found the Quad guage by NHSpeedometer. I was hooked on the integration of fuel/volt/OP/OT with idiot lights. The blue LED/white face combo was the closer. I just had to.

Here's the bill:
Speedo rebuild and calibrated for wheel size - 130
Speedo trip reset cable - 45
Tach rebuild with board for optical distributor - 135
Quad calibrated to OP/OT senders - 500
LED lighting/white faces - 300
Custom screen print art (VW logo & idiot labels) - 75
Bezels with glass faces - 45
VDO OP/OT senders - 40
Total nut - 1270

It still sounds crazy to me that I spent that much, but I'll forget about it soon and enjoy the gauges for a long time. This is a special project for me, so I'm emphasizing a high-end driver interface (gauges, steering wheel, seats, shifter).

NO_H20 -- I don't know the blue LED's used. They look sweet though. The tech said they were soldered to the stock bulb holders. I imagine its a trick install on the inside. He said the blue VW logo gets ghosted when the lights are on and it's dark. I'll try to get a picture when I install them.

For the custom panel, I'm going with a clear anodized, lightly bead blasted aluminum for a matte silver finish. The dash is smoothed and painted Porsche Lapis Blue.

Thanks for the :agree: