Thread: 944 struts?
View Single Post
Old September 19th 2008, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHB73SB View Post
would i be able to use these struts and be able to fit 17x7's within the fender i am trying to avoid buying overly expensive struts. i was hoping that w/ these struts and spindles i could get a good enough ride height? Is this doable? almost forgott i drive a '73 super.
I have 944/924S struts on a '74 1303. The struts are a direct replacement for the VW ones and I did so because the spring platforms were corroded/collapsing. The only difference is that the bottom ball joint connection is too large on the Porker bits so you will have to use one of the conversion ones supplied by Kersher if you use the VW bottom arm. With the 944 strut you get an additional camber adjuster on the top of the two fixing bolts. Also, you will have to swap over the top mount as the Porker one is a 4 bolt fixing. I redrilled the inner wing for the 4 bolt fixing as I wanted the much larger Porker top mount rubber. The strut is the same size as the VW one so to get the vehicle lower you will have to use lowering springs and short stroke dampers - mine are Spax PSX.
I don't if the 17x7s will fit because that will depend on a mass of other data but that size of wheel will mean too much rubber up front for decent/safe handling.

evilC