Thread: 944 struts?
View Single Post
Old June 29th 2009, 10:02

I was just about to start a new thread, and noticed this thread going on.

I have been dwelling over the 944 strut conversion for my 2 bolt SB. I do have have a set of Max Struts..

I have a couple of set of 944 struts laying around and figured it could not hurt to investigate based on the fact that they are so similiar.

Here is what I can tell you:

- There seems to be two type of strut housings for the 944/924/944S. One is the standard crimped on cap, non-removable, and the other is a screw on cap, that must look like the max or SB.

- It seems that the early 944 stuff seems to have the replaceable catrige and bolt on cap. The later 944 stuff, seems to have the crimped cap, these are the one I have.

- I would think using the early is the easier route, if you found a koni type insert, like the MK1 style.

-If your using the later stuff, it gets tricky as you need to cut the strut housing cap off. Koni uses a system where a bolt goes through a 14mm hole at the bottom of the strut housing and keeps everything snug. The part that I have not been able to figure out is what strut insert to use. I have been looking all weekend, when I had free time, but have not made any progress.

The MK1 does not attach via the bottom as the 944 insert. I could not figure out if the MK2 is different. The 944 while it attaches properly, is way too long for our application. I assume there is another insert, just have not found it yet for our application. From reading, I know different applications can be swapped but we need to find one that attaches via the bottom, and is the same size as the MK1, valving can be customized so not to concerned.. Most likely need to have the tops machined like the SB struts inserts if your going the stock route too.

From there you can go crazy, and use Ground Control sleeves, and eibach springs to have a somewhat customize set up..

Any thoughts?
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463