Thread: 944 struts?
View Single Post
Old June 30th 2009, 06:09

Gentlemen,

I have converted our 1303 to 924S struts (screw top 944 units) relatively easy. I bought a complete 924S undercarriage, which was fortunate since the the 1303 one were crumbling (there is a noticeable difference in quality between the VW and Porsche items). The Spax PSX kit of springs and dampers I bought for the 1303 fit the 924S/944 one exactly, which is good because they were designed for the lighter weight so no special 944 units were required. Even if I had the crimp type strut I would cut the top off and fabricate a screw on cap as it makes damper changing so much easier.
The steering arm is set lower and further outboard. The track rod needs to enter from the top so I had an internally tapered bush made up and increased the size of the steering arm hole to fit the bush. On reflection, it would have been easier and better to bore/ream a 14mm plain hole in the steering arm and use a heim joint rod end. That would also have the effect of lowering the track rod arm by at least 15mm thus giving the extra clearance that Steve was looking for. The track rod also needs lengthening by about 50mm per side so I used the standard ends sweated and welded into a larger diameter trackrod that doesn't look so flimsy.
I fabricated a new Track Control Arm so that I could use the 944 bottom ball joint (I hate press in ball joints with a passion - it is so much easier to bolt a new one on instead of finding someone with a 10T press on a Sunday PM say) That was much easier than I first thought. The inner pivot and strut give you a choice of camber adjustment and overall a much bigger range as you would expect.
IMO the 944 strut route is an easy one for the 1303. I would guess that there is a reasonable stockpile of 944 struts at all the aftermarket suspension suppliers that would also double as quality 1303 legs. There really isn't a better alternative.

Clive