Thread: 944 struts?
View Single Post
Old June 30th 2009, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug@5speed(US) View Post
I was just about to start a new thread, and noticed this thread going on.

- It seems that the early 944 stuff seems to have the replaceable catrige and bolt on cap. The later 944 stuff, seems to have the crimped cap, these are the one I have.

-If your using the later stuff, it gets tricky as you need to cut the strut housing cap off. Koni uses a system where a bolt goes through a 14mm hole at the bottom of the strut housing and keeps everything snug. The part that I have not been able to figure out is what strut insert to use. I have been looking all weekend, when I had free time, but have not made any progress.

Alex
Alex, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you first have to know exactly what kind of 944 spindle you are going to use.
Because those early struts (bolt on cap) are made for the pre '86 porsche 944 and 924, spindles - the ones with the same bolt pattern as the 1303 ones.
Now, for the newer struts, with the crimped cap, you have to use the post '86 944 spindles (the ones that are not bolt-on to the bug).

In either case, why would you look for alternatives (from other cars) for the strut inserts? That koni 944 kit is IMHO the most awesome :P And i really don't think it's too long, as you said. I think it's the same length as the beetle or stock porsche 944 one.
And they say on the koni website, that you can have them custom made, with your desired valving. So just tell them you want the koni kit for the 944 (late or early) strut, BUT with the valving made exactly like their own KONI1303 yellow front damper. (the one used in the kerscher assembly also).

I took the liberty to post these pics, from the "aussieveedubbers" forums. I hope the owner doesn't mind:

The last pic shows the full kit, you can order it with or w/o the old struts that you have to use, and you can also order it without the springs.
This is what I would have ordered, if Lee @ L.A. Performance wouldn't have helped me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20062008402.jpg (36.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 24092008464.jpg (58.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 24092008467.jpg (56.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Koni944T.jpg (56.8 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Xellex; June 30th 2009 at 18:09.