Thread: 944 struts?
View Single Post
Old July 2nd 2009, 05:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeetle73 View Post
................... Just trying to figure out the rate of the spring since there is much conflicting info. Some say 80, other say up to 120 is fine. Any take on the spring rates?
I measured a 35 year old spring that I took off and with some very basic equipment measuring it at 80lb/inch so I would guess a new spring would be ~85lb/inch. The new Spax ones I put on appear to be progressive and I don't have the equipment to do those. However, commonly the uprating value is usually around +25-30% so a 100-110 lb/inch linear rate spring should be a good starting point for a heavy car (as opposed to a lightened car). The 20 year old 924S spring was 140lb/inch that I felt was much too big a jump over the standard one. I did consider cutting the standard spring to acheive the 40-50mm lowering plus the rate increase as the standard spring is plain ended but I didn't get very far with that as I had to cut the damper rod to get one of the legs out and nicked the spring with the grinder so I was into buying two new springs in any case.

Clive