View Single Post
Old August 9th 2007, 21:34

Honestly, i think prepping it myself (including primer) would be impractical and possibly illegal here in CA. It's also unwise unless you really know what you are doing. 90% of a great paintjob is in the prep. Plus you'd need to use a compatible primer for the paint system your shop guy will be using. Example, if it's PPG then you'd need to go to a paint place that uses that specific PPG paint system. Otherwise you will run into trouble. Good paint places typically recommend you do not do extensive prep yourself.

My garage is way to small to get sanding dust everywhere and dirty to paint in. In addition, purchasing quality tools including an air compressor will cost too much. My garage is in the middle of the suburbs. If it were a more rural location, then having space for tools and might be less of a burden.

I have found one place called the spot shop in San jose that will do it for an estimated $6k. They actually came out and took a look. They were also talking about a new "paint blasting" method using baking soda. Apparently this works quite well without any warping damage, and will not hurt things like chrome.

I am still looking around. I also found evil-wheels.com, a custom body shop in Santa cruz. I'm going to give them call and see what's up.