View Single Post
Old February 6th 2005, 09:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
i would love to see some scientific study. problem is, i don't know anyone with stock VWs and then willing to do like upgrades is nearly impossible. if there are any ideas how to pull this off and people willing to help, i would love to see it happen.

No_H2O and i may be able to do some comparisons since we will have a weekend coming up of Dyno Day and drag racing (yea, i know but it is resto guys hosting the event and for some reason we just haven't been able to sway them to a coned road course but we may just set one up in the parking lot anyway ), but it is far from scientific. he has a '72 1302, me a '73 standard. he a 2276 T1 with about 135-140HP at the crank as i recall, me 2316 TIV with 176HP (Dyno Day will tell us the impact at the wheels). he 16's with Ghia brakes, me 17's with 951's so i have to turn a bunch more wheel and brake weight. he MaxxStruts, me stock beam with Koni Reds. he stock rear, me 951 rear with Koni Reds. can't remember his sway bar, mine is a 3/4". not sure if he has a rear, i don't at the moment. i also have a much lower center of gravity as mine is lower, chopped top and i sit on the floor just about. we have not weighed them yet, but i am estimating about 1750lbs for my car due to fiber fenders, lexan, no rear seat, race front seats but add in wheels, stereo, TIV.

my bet his he would easily kill me in the corners and i would kill him on the exits and straights due to the torque advantage. we will see what we can come up with.
That might be fun. Zen you may be right about the corners being my strong point but I think that the 951 brakes on yours and the reduced wieght will meen that you will be able to out brake me on the entrance then the added grip and Massive type 4 will launch out of the corner far better, so lap time average would not be a good test of Std vs Super with our cars head to head. Not that I wouldn't LOVE to do it. I think 2 bone stock cars and use the same driver would be the best test. All the mods that can be done to the rear are the same for both cars. The differance is all in the front, both can be upgraded but the basic platorm of the strut front end is a better starting point.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe