View Single Post
Old April 8th 2004, 22:41

Talking 912-6 is alive!!!

After a year of work, the 912-6 runs!!!

Had a friend come over to assist tonight, so at 6 tonight, we put 3 gallons of gas in the tank, plugged in the fuel pump and the ignition. It cranked for a while with no luck. We could tell we had spark, so we started looking for fuel. Not at the distributor, not at the accumulator, not at the end of the fuel pump. Played a hunch and rewired the fuel pump, switching leads. Bumped it and got fuel, cool. Hooked it all back up and tried again.

We cranked and after the 3rd try she ran, SHE RUNS!!! Took about a minute or so to set the timing, then we tried to adjust the idle and couldn't get over 1200, so I got in the seat and held the gas at 2000. Watched my timer as the motor sung its song.

Must be a few clogs to work out of the cis system, sounded okay most of the time, but kind of had a drum beat, would stumble just a bit every few seconds.

Watched the oil temp gauge climb over the next 15 minutes, stopped smoking (only did a little to start). Made it about 18 minutes and she cut off, lost fuel draw in the tank. So I added some gas and fired it back up, backed the car up the ramps and dumped the oil.

I had thought someone had put dirty water in my oil, came pouring out. I had used straight 30 weight to start, looked real thin.

Had 3 leaks under the car, the left timing chain cover, the tank "s" line (was used to start, I'll replace it) and there is a drip in the center by the tranny/engine joint. Hope they will be easy to fix. I put 20/50 back in, might help with the leaks also.

Let the car back down the ramps and she fired right back up. Turned the idle down to 900 and drove her back in the shop. I've got a some re-assembly to do with the bumpers and seats, alignment, seal the gas tank, and bleed the brakes.

21 days and counting till drivers ed.
948 project