View Single Post
Old August 6th 2002, 22:24

Quote:
Originally posted by NYBugman1972

Germanlook is, to me, the modernization of an air-cooled VW.

Large wheels (porsche or not), upgraded brakes (porsche or not), upgraded suspention, cruising oriented tranny, good tires, clean paintjob (chrome is optional), clean interior. It's all about the total package. It's not about the speed, its about the attitude. I like mine with more of a road-friendly (comfortable, I call it orientation, like an actual interior, built for cruising. That's about it.

My definition is pretty open. I'm not going count a car out for still running drums in the rear (like me or Brian "Phat73vw"), or for having a stock or small displacement engine (Trevor Brady). It's about attitude. Who can deny the sheer attitude of Brian's or Trevor's cars?
Well said! Also, I don't think something like wheel size should matter. I think alot of people are thinking along the lines of Porsche look. Again, I see GL as a tuning thing more than a look. I mean look at the watercooled VW's. They are starting to go more for function rather than flashy styling. (finally) We're starting to see them with smaller diameter wheels, less body kits and they are giving more attention where it should be given. TUNING! Are these still considered GL? I know we're talking air-cooled, but it still follows the same "guidelines" I guess you could say. I'll say it again. There is alot we can do with this style. It shouldn't be limited too much as just to Porsche parts or "no interior". Everyone's cars are going to look the same just with a different paint job. My car will have a full interior. I don't want it to look like I'm gonna blow your doors off. I want it be as embarrasing as possible for the guy I'm racing and still be a joy to drive. And I definitely will consider my car GL. But "no interior" is GL also. Why not? All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be as limited as the GL cars will start to look like clones just with different paint.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones