View Single Post
Old May 22nd 2020, 13:23
Administrator

There has been quite a bit of Netflix time over the last couple of weeks while I wait for packages of parts to arrive. I was mocking up the engine when I realized I've made two significant mistakes in my planning. I hadn't really planned on either a breather setup, or an exhaust setup. Vintage Speed sponsored the Rally Bug build, and years ago we had talked about doing a German Look car, but I didn't exactly get started on it right away! I reached out Mr. Lee, but haven't heard back. During a global pandemic probably isn't the best time to be asking for sponsorship, and it's not like Vintage Speed needs help "getting the name out" like they did when I built the Rally Bug. I hadn't really been thinking about it, but suddenly I am without exhaust and without a breather (and air filters, it turns out). I dug around in my storage shed, and managed to find the "spare" Rally Bug exhaust. It's the first system I had on the car when we put the 2110 into it, but that does mean it's been raced in Rallycross and on some winter events. It's been dented, cracked, and I damaged one of the flanges jumping the car years ago. I figured "hey, it came off a 2110...it's going on a 2110...it'll fit!" Um, no. I had to cut the flange I welded together off, and basically weld up the system from cyl 2 and 4 to the muffler. This one is setup for heater boxes, but I had a set of new J-tubes kicking around. I'm considering the exhaust system to be very temporary...as soon as money starts flowing in again, I'll be buying a new system for the car. A little exhaust wrap, some heat protection, and the bulk of the horrors are hidden. I can polish out the brown that's still visible (it's actually clay baked into the steel) but I just can't be bothered :P

My original breather plan was to simply use the CB-Style breather. I actually bought the Empi one figuring that the perimeter bolts were an improvement, but once it was out of the package I realized it just isn't useable. The lowest point in the breather is the valve cover lines, which means when you fill the engine with oil it's going down the valve cover line, not necessarily the filler. Not a big deal, but annoying. I also couldn't get past the look of it. Even if I were to paint it black, it's not really what I was going to be happy with. I ordered some of the breather units I used for the Rally Bug, and then quickly realized that the only reason they fit is because I had moved the firewall into the interior by 3". Well, crap. I thought about welding up my own breather, looked at the firewall boxes that other people use, and the way the berg and CSP systems sit. Eventually I realized that this is a problem best solved by spending money, even though it pains me to see the price I paid. I bought a CSP breather, figuring that it solves the problem while meeting the "look" I was hoping for. But my gosh is it overpriced. I spent how much and they can't even throw their special nut/tool in with the breather!?! Ugh.

Decided to do some weight reduction. Weber window holes are in, and having found the Rally Bug access holes to be a little too small...I went for full access on this car. I wasn't going to remove the rear apron, remembering how much I enjoyed drilling out 40+ spot welds on the Rally Bug, but then I was looking at it and realized I was really going to hate myself down the road if I didn't. Finally, since it's a German Look car, I figured the only appropriate doors for the Weber windows would be carbon fibre. I'm not sure if these were just a joke for now, or if they will stay long term. If you've ever experienced a carbon splinter, you'll understand why I'm wary of using them long term!

The fuel system has been finalized and all plumbing installed.

My Vibrant Performance oil line fittings finally arrived, almost a month after the hoses, which means I can start on wrapping this project up! There are no excuses now...if I get it done in the next four days it will be exactly two months between trailering the car home and completing it's German Look transition. I have strong feelings I'm not going to make it :P

Started with the breather lines. Looking nice and stealthy in the all-black configuration. I'm second guessing how black the engine bay is going to be, enough that I almost made the breather lines with Stainless Steel braided lines. We'll see how it looks when it's all finished. Still have to make a mount for the breather filter, which I'm going to put up on the firewall (as opposed to feeding dirty air into one of the carbs). I've got a large K&N breather filter with a 1.5" inlet, and will run -10 line to it. But I have to make a mount and adapter from -10 to the filter.

Plugs, jets, and intake mounting access is going to be awesome. Much better than the "almost big enough" windows in the Rally Bug.

Next up was the oil filter mount. I started with the traditional under the fender bracket, but I've never been a fan of putting the oil filter in the path of tire debris. I also really dislike how the filter is visible from the rear of the car. True, you can use a shorter filter...but I'm also adding a temperature sandwich plate for the oil cooler. By the time you stack it up with my filter size of choice (mock-up filter, not the Mahle/Bosch I actually use) it gets pretty darned tall. I was thinking about other options for mounting the filter, and then realized the perfect spot is under the luggage tray. Three holes through the luggage tray, and a metal plate on the otherside to help spread the loads, and I have a filter mount tucked up out of the way. Friends who have seen it are divided 50/50. Some of them think I should be using the rear under the fender mount, and a shorter filter, and the others think this is way smarter. With the factory insulation on the inside of the tray (trimmed, to fit the meal support plate), the carpet goes right over top and there are no bumps!

It was getting pretty late last night at this point, about the same time that I realized running the oil lines down the body-to-pan bolts as I originally planned might not be as easy as I thought it was in my head. In fact, it might not work out at all (without machining a whole new set of bolts on the lathe, and making special adapters/line clamps). I've ordered bulkheads to run the lines on the inside of the car, but I'm really hoping to avoid that. The interior is so clean and 'factory', that it would be a shame to run the lines either under, or over, the carpet. Have to spend some time on here to see how other guys have run their lines to get some ideas...

'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap