Thread: VWoA email
View Single Post
Old October 24th 2004, 10:18

i just read over their entire licensing program. their email seems to be consistent. i was questioning how professional the statement "You need to apply and receive a license to avoid the wrath of our legal guru's" was and figured that as a giveaway of a hoax, but they actually have similar casual statements laced in their licensing program.

one key statement to point out in their General Terms and Conditions..."If you currently own a domain name that is acceptable to the program, you hereby agree to transfer the name to VWoAs domain name registry. If a new domain name is required, you agree to register the name through VWoAs registry." not sure if legally that translates to what i think it does, but i don't like it if it does.

also, in their list of restrictions they note "slanderous statements", not sure what defines that (is someone saying they suck slanderous?) and how liable the site is when it is contained in a forum that is open.

i am not aware of GL.com ever getting such a notice and the logo containing a graphical image of a car that looks like a bug is the only thing i see in potential violation at this point. not sure how the use of their trademarked terms applies in a forum setting. if that use falls under their protection you could extend the argument to ask if you are even allowed to speak the words. i am equally unclear if a picture of a car/bus is a violation as compared to the use of a graphic or picture as it relates to a commercial enterprises logo or statement of work.

all that said, it just dawned on me that they noted laws in other countries could vary. so not even sure if/how they could come after you. maybe they narc on you to VW of Australia and they come after you for being such a bad boy. dunno.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design