View Single Post
Old April 21st 2013, 14:51

Its easy to get carried away with more is best, may be less is the new more, its debatable, but if you're objective is just Max hp you may never happy, its just numbers, you want enough hp to do the job, whatever that job is, road cars have no Datum, other than how it feels to the owner,so they dont count, with competition cars, far more important is chassis sorting and throttle response, i had 380 hp turbo horses way back, but in truth, it went best and won races turned down to about 285, where it had no lag, how did i beat supposed 450 hp ex factory cars,? because its whats under the max that matters. even today, we have two 400 hp Subies in our series, they are beatable, they either get so hot they have to back off the motor, or the tyres cook up with a similar result, the clever guy turns his down after qualifying on pole, then has to race and work for a living, the other guy wins often, but then doesn't make the second race, its gone to limp mode. the quickest way to go quicker is to throw parts away, lose weight from wherever you can, and further sort the dynamics of your car, then, if competing, look long and hard at your driving technique. I was staggered recently at the lap time of two different saloon cars, both were 'historic' both weighed nothing but are legally in my class, they had no more than 185 hp but vanished up the road, lapping up to the 4th place , i came in 5th, A LAP down, their corner speed was staggering, only possible with low inertia, they would have beat me even if i had had 500 constant rated hp. if you keep it simple and light, and easy to work on, you will find success.