View Single Post
Old December 27th 2005, 02:30

The worst christmas

I'm on my pity pot and I need to get this out. Even though this is not VW related it something that I feel if I share with my GL peeps I may feel better.
I moved from where I grew up, Auburn/ Grass Valley are, last year to live in the desert of SoCal. Anyways I decided to spend Christmas with my best friend and visit my NorCal friends. Well my best friend had gotten a sport bike a few months back so I got my Ninja ready for the trip, so that we could ride the twisties up there (they are awesome). I contacted my old riding buddies and we organized a causual ride.
I got up there last Thursday, only had to ride in three hours worth of rain. Spend the night at my buddies, then in the morning had to stop at the motorcycle shop, then off to the bay area to chill with a bunch of my old friends. The last time I was visiting, my friend was very depressed and this time was the happiest I had ever seen him. We spend the night in the bay area, then at 8 in the morning of the 24th we took off to head back to Sacramento to meet up with my riding buddies.
There was one toll bridge to cross so my buddy took the last off ramp so that we could get our money ready. He was in the lead left wheel position and I was about 20 yds back in the right wheel. He opened it up, there was a slight sweeper to the right, looked like he panicked and froze up. The bike slid for a ways along the cement barricade then just went straight up in the air. I was already slowing down before that and came to a stop. As I was running back I flagged a SUV and had them call 911. I got down to where he was at but it was too late.
I am having symptoms of PTSD, Sunday was real bad, flashbacks every few minutes. I wrote a blog about it, and long post on a motorcycle forum. I able to finally get a decent night's sleep. Today I rode my bike from a friends house in Fairfield to his brothers in Grass Valley, against my biker friends advice, but I was able to concentrate on riding. I think it was therapedic(?), cause I'm feeling a lot better.
I am spending a lot of time with the family, I'm doing my best to be strong for them. This is something that I will have to learn to live with. He was a good friend and will always live on in my memories. Rest in peace Randy.

Nick